There are a few key factors to consider when choosing the best sump pump for your home:
- Type: There are two main types of sump pumps: pedestal and submersible. Pedestal sump pumps are mounted on a pedestal and are placed above the sump pit, while submersible sump pumps are placed directly in the pit. Consider the layout of your basement or crawlspace and choose the type of pump that will work best for your needs.
- Size: Make sure to choose a sump pump that is appropriately sized for your home. If the pump is too small, it may not be able to keep up with the volume of water in the pit and could fail during a flood. On the other hand, if the pump is too large, it may be more expensive and use more energy than necessary.
- Capacity: Consider the capacity of the sump pump, which is the amount of water it can move per minute. A pump with a higher capacity will be able to handle larger volumes of water and may be more suitable for homes in areas that are prone to heavy rain or flooding.
- Horsepower: The horsepower of the sump pump will affect its performance and energy efficiency. A pump with a higher horsepower may be more powerful, but it may also use more energy and cost more to operate.
- Durability: Choose a sump pump that is made of high-quality materials and has a good reputation for durability. A pump that is prone to breaking down or malfunctioning will not provide the protection you need in the event of a flood.
- Price: Consider the cost of the sump pump, including any ongoing maintenance or repair costs. While it may be tempting to choose the cheapest option, keep in mind that a high-quality sump pump is an important investment in the protection of your home and will likely save you money in the long run by preventing water damage.
What is the best sump pump for your basement? Is that one that cost the most? or is that one that has the best GPH pump capacity? I personally think the best sump pump for your house protection against flooding is the one that fits your need and built to last.
The best sump pump should be a well-built product, meaning it should be able to have good reviews from its owners. If you Google or go to Amazon.com, you will be able to find the product reviews. Let me explain what I mean by “well-built”. A well-built sump pump must be able to withstand all types of moisture. What’s the point of having a basement sump pump that is not sealed-well? Make sure your sump pump has a long average lifespan and requires minimal maintenance.
The Best sump pump should be easy to service and test. Your sump pump needs regular check-up as it can malfunction easily depending on the condition of your sump pit. Especially, the float gets stuck quite often. You need to clean the entire unit at least once a year. Your pump should be easily accessible and easy to clean. When it needs a new part, you should be able to purchase the part easily. If your sump pump can be repaired by the manufacturer, it is a sure sign that it is not the best sump pump. An ideal sump pump has a design that is so simple that anyone can replace the part.
Because an electrical outage is so common when the storm hits, your sump pump should be able to run on an alternative power source such as batteries. Battery backup sump pumps have evolved over the years with great improvements. Battery backup for sump pumps can operate on average 5-10 hours without any electricity.